Tuesday, January 4, 2011
Top Reads of 2010
Books I rated "Excellent" for 2010 were (author, title, copyright date):
1 Adam, Paul Paganni’s Ghost 2010
Great characters, wonderful information on history related to music and instruments, very well plotted.
2. Alleyn, Susanne Game of Patience 2006
Post-French Revolution, very good sense of time and place, complex plot, ending was sad, poignant, tragic and satisfying.
3. Bolton, S.J. Blood Harvest 2010
Her best book yet, wonderfully creepy even if the prologue should have been at Chap 50/51, appreciated the humor and the ending.
4. Cleverly, Barbara Strange Images of Death 2010
Excellent characters and dialogue, very visual writing, powerful opening, a well thought-out, well-executed traditional mystery
5. Crombie, Deborah Dreaming of the Bones 1997
Characters are vivid and interesting, wonderful style to writing, story is emotional, intelligent and thought-provoking.
6. Dickinson, David Death of a Chancellor 2005
Wonderful characters, wry humor, excellent sense of place and time, plot that builds and interesting historical information. A series that has improved with each book.
7. Fowler, Christopher Bryant and May Off the Rails 2010
Humor balanced with poignancy. Well written characters, wonderful humor, excellent writing.
8. Krueger, William Kent Vermilion Drift 2010
Krueger is a very fine author who knows how to create characters, write dialogue, set a scent and develop a plot.
9. McGregor, Rafe The Architect of Murder 2009
Informative, educational, exciting, suspenseful, dramatic and altogether wonderful.
10. Marston, Edward The Owls of Gloucester 2000
Nothing I didn’t like about this book. Interesting and intricate plot, various threads brought together in a double climax.
11. Nabb, Magdalen The Marshal’s Own Case 1990
Each book better than the last. The plot is engrossing, emotional, tragic and poignant, with an ending which avoids cliché.
12. Robertson, Imogen Anatomy of Murder 2010
A straight-through read; captivating plot, good twist, insightful, evoked strong emotion.
13. Vargas, Fred Wash this Blood Clean from My Hands 2004
Wonderful characters, dialogue and humor. Author has an excellent voice. Very good plot with excellent twists.
Those I rated as "VG+" being just one or two points away from "Excellent" and are well worth reading were:
1 Alleyn, Susanne Palace of Justice 2010
2. Boyle, Gerry Port City Shakedown 2009
3. Bradley, Alan The Weed that Strings 2010
the Hangman’s Bag
4. Butcher, Jim Changes 2010
5 Carrell, Jennifer Lee Haunt Me Still 2010
6. Cotterill, Colin The Coroner’s Lunch 1976
7 Cotterill, Colin Thirty-Three Teeth 2006
8. Ellis, Kate The Armada Boy 1999
9 Finch, Charles A Stranger in Mayfair 2010
10 Franklin, Ariana A Murderous Procession 2010
11 Frederickson, Jack Honestly Dearest, 2010
12 Gerritsen, Tess Ice Cold 2010
13 Griffiths, Elly The Janus Stone 2010
14 Hill, Reginald An April Shroud 1975
15 Lake, Deryn Death in the Valley of 2003
16 Leon, Donna A Noble Radiance 1998
17 Nabb, Magdalen The Marshall and the 1987
18 Penny, Louise Bury Your Dead 2010
19 Todd, Charles A Lonely Death 2010
20 Vargas, Fred Seeking Whom He 1999
21 Walker, Martin Bruno, Chief of Police 2008
From the moment you enter my place, you know you've come to the home of a reader. Doesn't everyone's front hall look this way? A portion of my "to-be-reads" are on the left and some of my "have-reads" are on the right.
I'd love to see your lists of top 2010 reads and also photos of your book collections. Feel free to share.